In 2015-16 the Commissioner for Equal Opportunity delivered services through the following sections:
Provides legal assistance to the Commissioner and her staff, complaints in State Administrative Tribunal (Tribunal), and the Minister as required.
Investigate and attempt to conciliate allegations of unlawful discrimination in compliance with the Equal Opportunity Act 1984.
Community education and training
Delivers rights and responsibility training to private, non-government and government organisations, and community engagement to build awareness and acceptance of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984.
Policy and evaluation
Assists the Commissioner in development of policy, public information and community awareness and acceptance of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984.
Supports the financial, human resources and administrative requirements of the Commissioner.
The Office of the Commissioner for Equal Opportunity was established in 1985 under Part VII, Division I of the Equal Opportunity Act 1984 as amended, and under the provisions of the Public Sector Management Act 1984.
The Commissioner for Equal Opportunity is appointed by the Governor and is the Accountable Officer under the Financial Management Act 2006.
The Act promotes equality of opportunity in Western Australia and provides remedies in respect of discrimination on the grounds and areas specified.
The Hon. Michael Mischin MLC LLB (Hons), BJuris (Hons); Attorney General.
A society respectful of human rights and free from discrimination and prejudice.
To lead in the elimination of discrimination and build a community that reflects and promotes equality of opportunity and human rights.
The Commissioner for Equal Opportunity also undertakes investigations and conciliation of complaints under specified parts of the following Acts:
- Public Interest Disclosure Act 2003 - Part 3 section 15 (4)
- Spent Convictions Act, 1988 – Division 3
Other key legislation impacting on the Equal Opportunity Commission’s activities:
- Auditor General Act 2006
- Disability Services Act 1993
- Electoral Act 1907
- Financial Management Act 2006
- Freedom of Information Act 1992
- Government Employees Superannuation Act 1987
- Industrial Relations Act 1979
- Minimum Conditions of Employment Act 1993
- Occupational Safety and Health Act 1984
- Public Interest Disclosure Act 2003
- Public Sector Management Act 1994
- Salaries and Allowances Act 1975
- State Records Act 2000
- State Supply Commission Act 1991
- Workers Compensation and Injury Management Act 1981
- Racial Discrimination Act 1975
- Sex Discrimination Act 1984
- Disability Discrimination Act 1992
- Age Discrimination Act 2004
- Fair Work Act 2009
- Australian Human Rights Commission Act 1986